Episode 53: Treat Yo'self: Battling The Winter Blues
If the temperatures are still prohibiting you from partaking in your favorite out of the house activities or you're looking to add a little spring in your step to cure your winter blues, this week's episode is for you! We know in our part of the country, the saying goes "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it'll change." If this applies to you this week and you're experiencing unseasonably warm weather, take some of these tips and stick 'em in your back pocket for that one day when the temperature decides to dip. But if you're still bundled up looking for a reprieve from the doldrums of winter, we are here to save the day!
Tips For Embracing Winter
- Create a comfortable ambiance in your home. This could look like sprucing up your space with winter/Valentine's decorations to fill the void your Christmas tree left or you could take a more ritualistic approach. Embrace low lighting every night by starting a fire or lighting a candle and coin a signature scent this winter. KA is loving her tobacco and patchouli Paddywax candle.
- Invest in comfortable loungewear. There's no worse feeling than trying to relax in itchy or restricting clothes. This winter KA is living in these cabin socks, these joggers, and something akin to this house coat.
- Lather up and hydrate, ya'll! There's nothing worse than pale, dry, winter skin (can I get an amen?). The three essential hydrate and lather products KA swears by are this hand cream, this tanning lotion, and this rose hip oil.
- Even if you're not as tan as you would like to be or your skin is a little drier than you would like, quality foundation and bright lipstick can cover a multitude of sins. KA swears by this foundation and is currently rotating between this lip stain in "relentless raisin" and this one in "cabaret show".
- Complete your winter ambiance by concocting a warm winter libation by the fire. KA suggests: Fireball + apple cider, Bailey's + Kahlua + coffee/hot chocolate, Celestial Seasoning's herbal/fruit tea
Tips For Incorporating Spring Into Your Winter days
- Move on from the dark nail polish (think, Lincoln Park After Dark or Midnight) and onto lighter and brighter colors. White makes your hands look tanner, and TBH, that's what we're looking for this winter.
- Devote yourself to a skin care regimen. Winter, spring, summer, or fall (all you have to do is call...) healthy skin is always in season so show it some love!
- Turn up the summer tunes. Whether that's Taylor Swift or 90's country or, God help you, Florida Georgia Line, blast the pump up music to brighten those dreary winter days.
- Switch out your candle and scents. It may be a little early for Oahu Coconut Sunset or Mango Mandarin, but try out a transition scent like Pear or Sweet Pea to bridge the gap between the holiday scents of December to the tropical scents of summer. And remember! You can always save half used soap bottles for next season, no one will think less of you if you don't use it all up in one year.
- Eat all the fruit.