Episode 40: Kitschy Kountdown Explains It All: Exploring All The Best Trends Of The 90's
The 90's. If you ask any millennial, we'll be quick to tell you all the reasons why this decade was totally, like, all that and a bag of chips. From Beanie Babies, to Hanson, to Fruit Stripe Gum, the 90's were a simpler time. Join us as we reminisce over our favorite trends from our favorite decade and make the case for why they need to resurface in 2017.
- Mary Kate and Ashley. I get it, they're big time fashion moguls and can't be bothered to make an appearance on Fuller House. But that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting they re-boot The Adventures of Mary Kate and Ashley and turn it into an HBO series. Think True Detective, but they'll solve any crime by dinnertime.
- Jellies. What a versatile and comfortable choice of footwear! The fashion gods must have preemptively listened to this episode because they have already brought this trend back so that we can all enjoy this 90's fashion delight.
- Butterfly clips + crimped hair. Think of how much easier getting ready would be in the mornings if all you had to do was run a crimper through your hair (because let's be honest, it's already a lil crimped from sleeping) and place a few butterfly clips. You would save so much time in the mornings, plus, you would be hella stylish.
- Roller blading. Going for a jog or a bike ride may be all fine and dandy for some, but there's something to be said for strapping on a pair of roller blades and just cruising around. Whether it's at your favorite roller rink or just around the neighborhood, roller blading is the perfect aerobic exercise to get your blood pumping through your veins and your nostalgia pumping through your heart.
- N*SYNC. We know, they reunited for a hot sec in 2013 for the MTV Music Awards, but that wasn't enough. We're rooting for an all out reunion tour. But we're a little wary because if they sang Digital Get Down in 2000 (not the 90's but close enough), who knows what they would come up with in 2017.
- Nintendo 64. Who hasn't come home from a long day and thought, "you know what I need right now? To unwind and play some Nintendo 64."? We propose the concept of a company providing a living room set up with the gaming console and all the classic 90's games that you could use as the perfect date night/walk down memory lane.
- Gigapets. Gigapets teach children valuable life lessons about taking care of something other than yourself and instilling responsibility in young virtual pet owners. Which is why we're in the works of developing a Go Fund Me account raising funds for KB to purchase one as a class pet (because if you want to get a 1997 original, it's going to cost you over $100).
- Skydancers. What a magical toy- she could REALLY FLY. Kids these days (the phrase you use when you're officially old) would benefit from the sheer wonder of watching a majestic doll fly through the air from her launcher and wonder in amazement "how does she do that?" instead of watching a Youtube video of a chimpanzee riding on a segway and not even blinking an eye.
- Selena. And no, we're not talking about Selena Gomez, we're talking about her namesake Selena Quintanilla-Pérez. She left this world too soon and if there's anything we could use more of these days, it's her confidence, charm, talent, and fashion sense.
- Lisa Frank. Whose work day wouldn't be exponentially better if you could sort your client files in brightly colored folders with happy dolphins on the front or could take meeting notes in a notebook with two kittens cuddling prominently displayed on the cover?
- Limited Too. Forget cold shoulder tops, booties, or bell sleeve tops. We're proposing glittery t-shirts with sayings like "All Girl, All Sports, All Attitude" and pants in which you could make each leg a different length (one side pants one side shorts = the pinnacle of fashion forward) make a comeback.
- Boy Meets World. And no, Girl Meets World isn't the same thing. Nothing embodies childhood innocence like this show, except Cory and Topanga's wedding night episode. We wouldn't be sad to see a reboot of this iconic 90's treasure.