Episode 36: Pump Up The Party: How To Elevate Your Spontaneous Get Together
Taking your last minute party to the next level is a delicate task. If you've been thrown into the chaos of having to prepare a get together at the last minute, you know the panic that can ensue. But fear not! This week, we're sharing our best tips and tricks for elevating a spontaneous get together without losing your ever loving mind and maybe, just maybe, you might even enjoy your own shin dig! If you want to take a trip down memory lane, give Episode 1: We Are The Kitschy Kountdown a listen to hear us explain the infamous "Come As You Are Party" and Episode 5: Hostess With The Mostest for our tips for hosting a not-so-last minute get together.
1. Concoct a specialty drink + a cute way to serve it. Whether that’s a nice bottle of wine or iced tea, decant the wine or put the tea in a pitcher and keep your guests hydrated in style.
2. Keep cute paper plates, napkins, straws, and serving ware on hand at all times so you can pull them out at a moment’s notice. Snag a pack of cocktail napkins or paper straws while you’re standing at the checkout lane at TJ Maxx or pick up a cute cake stand in the dollar section at Target to keep your entertainment cabinet locked and loaded at all times.
3. If you’re serving dinner, choose something that can turn into a “build your own bar.” Some crowd favorites are chili, burgers, tacos, or soup. Not only does this take the pressure off you as the hostess to plate the food nicely, but it allows your guests to customize their meal to meet any dietary restrictions or preferences they may have.
4. Stock your pantry with staples that can be whipped into a quick snack when guests arrive unannounced. KB keeps olives and ingredients for chocolate chip cookies and KA keeps Boursin and chips and salsa around for those impromptu get togethers.
5. Subscribe to pre-made playlists on Spotify so you can queue up music to set the mood on a moment’s notice. In Kate Spade’s All In Good Taste, they suggest the following: The Royal Tenebaums, Pretty In Pink, American Graffiti, The Harder They Come, Lost In Translation, Almost Famous, City Of God, Pulp Fiction, The Big Chill, All In Good Taste
6. Stick to a theme. Be it a season, a color, or a type of food, themes bring parties together and adds a little oomph to your evening. Pro tip: stick to one theme for awhile as you cycle through hosting different friend groups, because no one has to know that you’re a theme repeater.
8. Want to be the most popular hostess on the block? Make sure to always keep some Fischer and Wieser Original Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce on hand. Pour over cream cheese + serve with chips, cracker, veggies = sit back and watch as your new friends flock to your house.
9. Sending people home with leftovers extends your hospitality all the way until your guests get home. You don’t have to have super cute containers to send, but using your own Tupperware or ordering some of these bad boys to give to your guests are sure to make your guests feel happy and well fed.