Episode 38: Fashion, Fiction, and Foliage: Our Fall Favorite Findings
The days are shorter, the weather (should be) crisper, and lattes are pumpkin-ier. That can only mean one thing: fall is here. Ranging from food and drink recipes, fashion choices, entertainment, and more, this week's episode is jam packed with all the things we can't get enough of during this season. Give us a listen and then head on over to Instagram and share what you're loving this fall!
1. KA: Chex Mix, but not the kind you buy from a vending machine. I'm talking about the kind that makes your whole kitchen, and frankly your whole house, smell like love and goodness and holiday cheer. I get my recipe straight off the box, the only trade off being swapping nuts for Cheez Its, because I feel like it's important to incorporate Cheez Its into as many facets of my life as possible. I've found that this makes a great hostess gift and it's a great way to elevate a spontaneous get together.
2. KB: PSLs (pumpkin spice lattes, for those of you who aren't basic white girls like us). But before you roll your eyes too hard, I like to take it down a notch on the pumpkin. A tall beverage with one pump of pumpkin syrup + almond milk is the perfect afternoon treat. Not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y, it's just like having fall in a cup.
3. KA: This light weight, long cardigan in "pink smoke" has quickly become a closet essential. Not only does it come in one of this fall's "it" colors, it's ideal for "autumn" in the south (AKA when it's 90 degrees in October and you want to be seasonal but you also don't want to sweat).
4. KB: If you don't wear booties in the fall, did fall really even happen? These black suede, open toe, strappy booties are super versatile and are a prime footwear choice this season, no matter the weather.
5. KA: If you want to fully embrace the black footwear trend this season, do yourself a favor and grab a pair of these slip on sneakers. Dress them up or dress them down. Wear them to the airport or wear them when it's not quite time for a boot or a bootie. Wear them to feel stylish and comfortable all at the same time. I feel like there's a Dr. Seuss rhyme somewhere hidden in there.
6. KB: My must have fall fashion staple are cords, specifically from The Loft, and preferably the modern skinny cut. Maybe it's psychological, but I swear they're warmer than normal jeans. Plus, they're work place approved. What's not the love? Fill the void colored jeans left in your closet by slipping on a pair in muted maroon, navy, or army green.
7. KA: It wouldn't be a seasonal favorite list if I didn't mention my favorite lipstick. For fall, it's Calvin Klein's One Pure Color Lipstick in "Speakeasy". However, upon further research after recording, I discovered, to my horror, that this line has been discontinued, which shows you how long I've had this one tube of lipstick. I've searched endlessly for a color dupe I can stand behind and while I've not tried it, I'm a tried and true fan of Revlon's ColorStay Overtime Lip Color. Check it out in "boundless brandy" for the perfect wine colored pout.
8. KB: Candy corn biscuits from The Biscuit Shop in Starkville, MS. Although they sadly don't deliver to Grapevine, TX, the memory I have from that biscuit will last a life time. Biscuits + candy corn + Frosted Flakes on the top= DELICIOUSNESS. Check out their menu to swoon over the other drool worthy flavors they have to offer and maybe start planning your road trip to Starkville, MS.
9. KA: Apple cider Moscow mule. Granted, you can have a Moscow mule during any season, but there's something about sipping this concoction from a copper mug while wearing a flannel shirt, in the crisp autumn air that sounds dreamy.
10. KB: Pumpkin Pecan Waffles candle from Bath and Body Works is flipping awesome for making your kitchen smell like an autumnal wonderland.
11. KA: While you're at BBW, pick up a Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin candle. Then, swing by Target and snag an Autumn Harvest soy candle. With this selection, you're sure to have delicious autumnal scents wafting through your home all season long.
12. KB: After you light your candles, turn on Jess Ray, and let her cozy melodies fill your home as you're cooking or reading or lounging with friends.
13. KA: If you're looking for a way to decorate seasonally without breaking the bank or cluttering your space, use mums or these cute succulent planters from Trader Joe's. Small, affordable, and not scary at all, incorporating fall foliage into your decor is achievable for even the tiniest of spaces.
14. KB: Milk and Honey Tees' "Homebody" tee is sure to be on frequent rotation this season. I envision myself wearing it with jeans, with cords, with skirts, with booties, with flannels, over a dress, with dangly earrings or studs, all while feeling insanely comfortable and knowing my money is going to a worthy cause.
15. KA: Staying true to my fall bucket list, I've been reading more fiction. First on the docket was a September Book of the Month pick, Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Examining issues of family, friendship, community, race, and privilege, this book perfectly balances character studies with a plot that propels you forward, page after page. KB throws in Freud's Mistress as her first fiction pick for the season.
16. KB: Mona Faber's chili. Throw all the ingredients into a crockpot and serve with your favorite chili fixin's. Hearty enough for a weeknight meal at home and tasty enough to entertain a crowd, you really can't go wrong with this recipe. Make sure you're subscribed to our newsletter for the full recipe!